Tuesday, 16 April 2013

WHAT IF? puzzle review



Those wonderful folks at Ravensburger managed to help this 53 year old grey-haired mum to convince the family that she has not quite lost the plot yet!  They very kindly gave me a What If? puzzle to complete and, amid much scorn and merriment at home, I did.  In actual fact, I completed it in just over 3 days last week, while I was on leave for the Easter break, much to the complete amazement of my family.  Needless to say that there wasn’t a lot else done around the house during that time, other than ensuring that the kids and hubby were fed as normal!

I must admit that the idea of completing a puzzle which is nothing like the one on the box lid is quite daunting at first, but once I had got my head around the fact that the puzzle was portraying the completely opposite scenario to the illustration, it became a bit easier.  For instance, I imagined that, instead of being on a cruise ship, the family would still be at home.  Instead of eating quality lobster and drinking fine Champagne, they would in all probability be eating from the BBQ and drinking cans of beer. 

To be fair, it wasn’t quite that simplistic but it was a brilliant challenge to do this puzzle because you simply couldn’t refer to the box lid.  The clever use of colours and patterns to contrast between the different characters and things in the puzzle helped me to distinguish the different parts of it fairly quickly.  And, of course, using the Ravensburger Puzzleboard to help me sort the pieces and build individual sections of the puzzle up first helped make it that bit easier.


Once the idea has ‘clicked’, it is just a matter of the usual game of patience and skill - finding where, in several rows of the puzzle, one individual piece of grass, sky or brick wall should be, but I love a challenge and What If? certainly provided one for me.  Another superb, quality jigsaw puzzle from Ravensburger - wonder if they’ve got any more? 

Review by Viv

Available at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment